The Super Hero Jacket from Marmot (colour shown: red)
The provocatively named Super Hero is one of Marmot's most technically-minded and inventive softshell jackets. It was with great interest that the planetFear test team took this snazzy number to the Spanish Pyrenees in the autumn to see what all the fuss was about. Marmot claim that "ounce per ounce the Super Hero offers a formidable amount of protection: a tuck-away hood and WINDSTOPPER® make it breathable, windproof and supremely functional for a wide range of alpine activities."
After six weeks of intensive use, in conditions ranging from Mediterranean to full-blown Alpine, we returned exceedingly impressed not only with the effortless functionality of the Super Hero but also its tremendous flexibility in a range of different weather conditions and for multi-activity use. The first thing you notice pulling this jacket over your shoulders is the cut: Marmot have tailored this jacket perfectly to the needs of climbers, hikers, and spring skiers with a snug, high-waisted profile (but it's not cut too high not to be able to get a harness over with ease - a sure sign of good attention to detail). The Super Hero feels sublime when you're wearing it. The lining is comfortable even against bare skin, and the sharp, simple two-tone colour scheme makes you look every bit the Alpine hero.
The Super Hero in blue
In active use, this jacket performs with a consistent excellence: in fact, only three or four softshells we've used from other top-end brands come close. Even though it's got a full-length zip and four zipped pockets, it still retains the feel of an ultralight half-zip softshell top. The hood folds away and can be neatly zipped up inside the collar, which is great for fair weather when you don't want it blowing around against your ears. And conversely, when the weather turns, the hood can be up in seconds and the shock-cord closure at the waist can be tightened, which battens down the hatches completely. In fact, the Super Hero almost feels like a hardshell when used in anger, which is largely due the robust Gore Windstopper fabric coupled with the warm lining. We were constantly surprised, in fact, at how something so light could be so warm and weather-proof at the same time.
In summary, if you want to buy just one softshell that you can do pretty much everything in - from lightweight summer adventures to full blown alpinism and ice climbing - then the Super Hero is without doubt one of the best products currently available.
The Super Hero in black
• GORE® WINDSTOPPER® Wind and Water Resistant
• Marmot M2 Softshell Water-Repellent, Highly Breathable, Wind-Resistant, Durable and Warm
• Windproof, Water Resistant, and Breathable
• Zip-off Coated Hood
• Zonal Construction Anatomical Placement of Fabrics
• Underarm Venting Gussets
• Laser-Drilled Water Resistant Chest and Hand Pockets Laser-drilled WR chest and Hand Pockets
• Reinforced Shoulders and Elbows
• Adjustable Velcro® Cuff Adjustable Velcro Cuff
• Elastic Draw Cord Hem For Adjustability in Serious Weather
• Inside Zip Pocket Secure Pocket to Store Small Items
• DriClime® Lined Collar and Chin Guard Moisture Wicking Fabric for Comfort Around Your Neck and Face
• Angel-Wing Movement™ Allows Full Range of Motion in Arms so Jacket Doesn't Ride Up
There are currently no comments on this article.